Want to see how the 1% live in Cuenca? Then rent a house for $600. For this “great” (this is all relative to the US because it is an outrageously ridiculous price for most Cuencanos) price you can get:
- Gated and private entry onto your own private street of only 9 homes
- House in a compound of houses that are all owned by the same family (none of the others are rented out and there are children in all the homes)
- 3 story fully furnished home with 4 bedrooms, 4.5 baths
- Formal dining room
- Sunken living room
- Large kitchen with all the requisite plates, pots, spoons, forks and other items included
- Servant’s Quarters
- Laundry room with washer and dryer
- Private garden with fruit trees
- Private enclosed and tiled courtyard
- Beautiful views of Cuenca
- Only 10-15 minute walk to center of town
- Secure home with intercom buzzer
- Deposit is $1,000 and renter pays for all utilities (which depending on usage maybe about $100 including light, gas, water, internet, cable and telephone).
Can you live on your social security check in Cuenca, Ecuador? Yes you can! Come and live like the 1% – if that is what you choose.
So tell me, if you could choose between spending $600 just on rent or $600 on everything for the whole month? Which would you choose?